just like that

"Be the change you want to see" - Mahatma Gandhi

That is the name of one of the courses we did here in IIM Indore. This is a very unique course across B-schools and was designed keeping in mind the vision of IIM Indore to produce socially conscious managers. The course is done in two parts – a theoretical part in Term IV and a practical part in Term V. In the theoretical part we looked at the relevance of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) in today’s scenario via the help of a lot of cases. We saw how CSR is more and more becoming an integral part of corporate strategy today. We had lively debates during some of the cases about why the business of business is more than just business. Then came the practical part in the fifth term where we were to take up a specific project in the neighboring community (like Rau, Pithampur) and study and if possible, make realistic recommendations. The Profs we had for this course were pretty good and they made it very clear in the beginning itself that the basic aim was to sensitize ourselves to the community around us. In the process, if we can come up with any recommendations which can be implemented, well and good.

Now six days were allotted in the term to make these field visits. Our group chose to study about the contract laborers (security guards) working on campus. To be honest, most of the groups didn’t take it seriously and were doing it just like any other project. The course was viewed by most of us as just a necessary evil wherein we do all this big talk about society but actually achieve nothing at the end of the day. In fact, the way some people were doing it, I began to wonder whether there was any purpose in doing this course.

And then one day, myself and a friend interviewed a couple of security guards as part of the project. That half an hour came as a rude awakening to me. It really laid before me, in black and white, the people I meet almost everyday but about whom I barely stop and think about. I realized what a different life these guys are leading and what are the various difficulties they are facing. Those guys weren’t struggling for food or anything but a lot of things which we take for granted are only a dream to most of them. Most of us had been mocking at the course and its relevance but for the one hour after we finished the interview, I really wanted to do something for all these people. I don’t even know what that is but the thought is there. Today, as I was just making the report for the final submission, I thought I would write about this course. But what I begun to write about and what I have to say now are somewhat different. Sometimes we are all so immersed in our worlds that we fail to see how important a responsibility we all owe to our society. I would request anyone who is reading this to give something back to the society in whatever way you can. Not necessarily now but as and when you are in a position to do that. It might be as simple as providing one meal to a beggar or something as important as supporting the education of one poor child. Believe me - it gives you great happiness when you see a small deed of yours make even a little difference to someone’s life.

0 comments:

About this blog

A blog struggling to keep itself alive as its writer juggles his life between selling paints and playing poker!

Hits

My Blog List

  • A nyomorultak teljes film magyarul online 2012 - A nyomorultak 2012 teljes film letöltés online 🥇 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ A nyomorultak videa online filmek A nyomorultak teljes film magyarul online 2012 film teljes A nyom...
    4 years ago
  • Surviving, thriving in Hyderabad - Ok, so you have to cross a road. Everyone has to, some time or other. Obviously there is an endless stream of cars, bikes, autos and buses in front of you....
    5 years ago
  • Future of Online Advertising - Google & Facebook Platform Dominance - Not everything is rosy in the world of digital advertising. P&G announced last week it has cut more than 100$ Million (equivalent to INR 635 crores). It ci...
    6 years ago
  • The Great Mass Shooting Contest - What do a school, a movie theater, a shopping mall and a place of worship have in common? ... you might get shot at any of these places. Continue reading →
    8 years ago
  • Doll and a White Rose - I hurried into the local department store to grab some last minute Christmas gifts. I looked at all the people and grumbled to myself. I would be in here ...
    10 years ago
  • Haiku! - L-aloo L-aloo Criminal Ordinance Hot Potato! Pranab da Laloo ya Fodder for thought! Indian cements Srini of BCCI Cementing his place! No US Visa for NaMo ...
    10 years ago
  • Good Night | Good Morning. - Anyone who reads the Hindu will know that Sudhish Kamath is not one of their best writers. But the guy sure has a sense of humour. That’s why his reviews w...
    13 years ago
  • Who says Elephants can't Dance: Louis V Gerstner, Jr. - I would have laughed at myself a few quarters back if someone told me to read this book. I have never shown any interest to books on consulting, change ...
    14 years ago
  • - There's no work in walking in to fuel the talk I would grab my shoes and then away I'd walk Through all the stubborn beauty I start at the dawn Until the sun...
    14 years ago
  • Tony Melendez - A Great Video about Tony Melendez Cheers, Wayne
    14 years ago
  • Joga Bonito - Master | 19th July 2007 | Bombay In 2007, you would have expected Jayjay to be happy. Everything seemed to have happened as any ordinary person would have ...
    16 years ago